Monday, April 8, 2013

Parker Leigh & Olivia Kate's Birth Story

Seeing as how our baby girls just turned 3 months (and 5 days!) old, I guess it's high time we told their birth story! 

I last posted at 32 weeks, and had been having weekly appointments since that time, to measure the girls blood flow one week, and their growth the next, and was also doing a non-stress test to monitor the girls' heart rates at each appointment. The NST's were awful! So glad I will never be doing that again. 

In any case, I was 35 weeks, 3 days pregnant, making our girls little honeydew melons! 



I got up on the morning of my appointment, which was at 10 am, feeling great. Every single day was such a victory, and I just had to make it through 1 more week to get these babies to the safest point we could get to, 37 weeks! I got right into the back into the NST room, got myself comfortable and miracle of all miracles, they found both babies heartbeats right away and I was well on my way. I even posted a photo that morning, so excited that the monitors got right on! I thought I'd be done in 45 minutes, move on to my sonogram and go to work later. 

After an hour and a half of fetal monitoring and constant checking from the nurse and about a mile of paper from the machine, the lead nurse came and asked me to use the ladies room. I returned and they hooked me back up, much to my chagrin. After another half hour, she finally came back in to look at my read outs and just let me know that she was watching to make sure she got a really good baseline because Olivia was having some frequent decelerations in her heart rate. Once she determined it was all good, I was moved into the sonogram room.

This week wasn't a growth check, just the biophysical profile, where they check blood flow in the babies cords, spine, brain, etc. The tech was done in no time at all and Dr. Mc came in very soon to do her sonogram. She's typically in the room for about 10 minutes and then I'm on my way. This day, she did all the regular measurements and everything seemed totally normal until she said that we were getting to the point that they start to worry about identical twins, and she asked me when I had last eaten. It was almost 1 o'clock by that point, and I told her I had eaten a banana at about 8 o'clock that morning. She checked her watch and said "so about the right time that you could have surgery". She explained to me that she wanted the babies to be born that day, and that I needed to walk straight to labor and delivery. She said she'd call Dr. T and wished me luck. I could only assume that they were bringing them early because of the decels Olivia was having.

One of her nurses walked me down the hall to L&D and I sat down on a bench in the hallway to make that first phone call to Chris. I think all I said to him was "You have to come. They're making me have them today." And he said he was on his way and I don't even really remember explaining it all to him. Then I called my mom and told her I needed her to come and she said she'd be right there. Thankfully, she was only a few minutes away at the mall! Then, I walked into hospital registration and did all my paperwork in about 5 minutes, then they took me to L&D Triage. The nurse there took my paperwork, handed me a gown and some socks and sent me to get changed. In the bathroom, I took the opportunity to call Dr. T's office and find out where he was doing office hours that day. He was headed out of town on vacation the very next day, and I knew that if he was in the office at the hospital, he'd be there to deliver the girls. Thankfully, he was, and I felt better knowing that he'd be there. 

I got into a bed and after laying and waiting for around 20 minutes, another nurse finally came over and started to work on the fetal monitoring machine. She asked me if I was there for extended monitoring and said "I just did 2 hours of monitoring in my doctor's office...I think I'm here to HAVE my babies." She was clearly a bit taken aback and said she needed to make a call. The L&D nurse told her they were holding a prep room for me and had been waiting on me! (They thought I stopped off for some lunch...not a good thing with surgery imminent!) So the triage nurse walked me right to L&D and passed me off to the sweetest nurses. They took very good care of me, and what felt like forever later, my mom arrived. We did all of my intake information, got my IV's done and just went through all the prep that is required for major surgery. The anesthesiologist was all set to go, before Chris even got there, so we had to hold him off! 

Chris ran home to get my bag and got to the hospital as fast as he could, and I remember being so very relieved when he finally got there. My dad came as well, and we were all pretty restless, since we were basically clock watching at that point. It was really surreal. I felt fine, both girls heart rates were totally normal. I kept wondering what we were doing there. It was just odd. When the OR came available and we were about to go in, an emergency came in just before us, so we were put off waiting for that surgery to finish and for the room to be readied again. Then, about the time that was done, Dr. T was delivering another baby. About 5 o'clock, we were finally all done and they took me back to the room. It was 5:28pm when they put me on the table to get my spinal.

After that was all done, Dr. T. and the assisting physician, Dr. G came in and went to work. It was so different than Jack's birth. It was so calm and relaxed. My arms were free, not strapped, Chris sat down next to me and we chatted and laughed with each other, and with the doctor's and nurses. Dr. T talked to us the whole time and it was just a really peaceful, happy time in there. Again, very surreal. Dr. T told me I'd feel some pulling, and at 5:29 pm, he lifted Parker Leigh into the world. I heard him say "Dr. Mc was right, it was a double nuchal cord." So I said "What? The cord? What does that mean?" and he said "The cord was looped around her neck twice." And at that moment, I knew what I hadn't known all day and why the girls had to be born that day. God's timing is never wrong. Three minutes later, at 6:02 pm he lifted Olivia Kate into the world. 


Parker Leigh ~4lbs 15oz~ 18 in

Olivia Kate ~4lbs 11 oz~ 17 7/8 in

From the side of the room, the nurses and the Neonatologist who was awaiting the girls arrival started talking, calling out both the girls' birth weights, their apgar scores and just oohing and ahhing in general. In what felt like no time, the nurse handed Parker to Chris and we were both able to lay hands on our beautiful baby girl. Moments later, Olivia was in his other arm. The neonatologist came over to tell us congratulations and that she was on her way back to the NICU, without our girls. I said "they're not going to the NICU with you?!" and she smiled and said that they were healthy and were on their way to the newborn nursery! I don't know that I've ever smiled bigger in my life! Those first moments with our girls are so vivid in my mind and I just feel so blessed to have them. 

Before I knew it, I was done and had returned to recovery. My family was brought back in, including Jack, and I was so very happy to see him! They brought the girls to me and I was able to hold both of them on my chest before they were taken to the nursery, and big brother was there too! 

We had a wonderful four days in the hospital, spending so much time with our girls. Nana & Deeda brought Jack to see us every day and he was able to spend whole days with us, but was definitely sad he couldn't spend the night there. Chris and I got the most sleep we'd have in months while we were there and our girls were so well cared for. Once again, the nursing staff at NCB was just fantastic.

Before we knew it, they were checking us out to go home...on New Year's Eve! I can't think of a better way to end one year and start the next than by taking TWO beautiful, healthy babies home!



1 comment:

Allison said...

Just read this and I cried when I go to the part about Parker. It's too hard to imagine any other outcome than the beautiful one you got. These girls are such a blessing!